Name: Uno July
Residence: Cape Town, South Africa
Art Form: Music / Rap Artists
Years Active: Since 2003
Uno July is an independent artist hailing from Cape Town’s most notorious township, Gugulethu. Uno is one of Cape Town’s hottest local acts, performing monthly around South Africa, and he’s supported himself with his music since 2003.
Uno has released four full-length albums as a solo artist, six as part of the duo Illiterate Skillz, and one as part of the newly formed South African group, Contra Gang. His local notoriety has earned him apparel sponsorships from Puma and Unknown Union and a production sponsorship from Red Bull Studios Cape Town. Uno’s commercial success has been within the townships and urban community in Cape Town, which affords a living, but not enough capital to easily pursue international marketing and distribution and take his craft to the next level.
In 2010 Uno pioneered the 24-hour album project – recording a full-length album in one day. In 2016, Uno released his 3rd edition, again recording and completing a full-length album in just 24 hours. With the support of Red Bull Studios Cape Town and an incredible individual effort, Uno garnered 12,000 downloads in the first 24 hours after releasing, Zero Hour Zone.
Uno’s music speaks to the raw realities of the racial divides in South Africa, the hardships of life, and never forgets to honor hip hop nostalgia, while imprinting catchy lyric after catchy lyric into our minds forever. Uno is a ‘big brother’ to the young African Americans’ struggle, having lived through Apartheid in South Africa, and likens his message to conscious rappers like Kendrick Lamar, Mos Def, Nas, and J.Cole.
Uno is ready to bring is music to the global market, and for the second time take on the momentous task of tracking an entire album in 24 hours, but this time in New York City.
UNO JULY’S HISTORY
- Toured Europe with idols, Slum Village and Masta Ace
- Hype Magazine Top 5 Unsigned Act
- Elle Magazine Top 5 artists to look out for
- Cosmopolitan Magazine Rocks featured artist
- The 24 Hour Project recording at Red Bull Studios Cape Town
- The 2nd edition of the 24 Hour Project recording at Red Bull Studios London
- 14-page profile feature on the Rolling Stone SA Magazine
- Appeared at the prestigious Cape Town International Jazz Festival
2015 (went solo)
- Featured by GQ Magazine as SA’s “Cool Top 35 Under 35” in 2015.
- Invited to New York to feature on the Coogi & Lo-Life 2015 collection range campaign, published by Complex Magazine.
- The 3rd edition of the 24 Hour Project recording at Red Bull Studios Cape Town
- Performed at SA Menswear Fashion Week in Cape Town
- Appeared at the Unknown Union A/W18 collection showcase at the AFI SA Fashion Week
- ***Planning the 4th edition of the 24 Hour Project recording in New York.
Uno July has shared stages with prominent international artists such as Slum Village, Kendrick Lamar, Lauryn Hill, Yasiin Bey (Mos Def), DJ Premier, Pharoahe Monch, Jean Grae, Atmosphere, Casey Veggies, Blu & Exile. Locally Uno rubs shoulders with the likes of Tumi, Proverb, AKA, Reason, Prophets Of The City, Black Coffee, Hugh Masekela, Zaki Ibrahim, Okmalumkoolkat, Prokid, and Khuli Chana just to name a few.
NOTABLE WORK FROM UNO JULY
- Video – Lindlela Zamandulo by Foresta feat Uno July & Crosby
- Video – FokOfPolizieKar
- Mini Project Documentary – 2016 24 Hour Project at Red Bull Studios Cape Town
- Video – Skelem
- Video – 90s Laaitie
- Audio – Acting Like a 10 feat. Stan1 (Prod. by KaeB) by Uno July SoundCloud